GPs can be an important part of the healthcare team of a child or young person with special educational needs or a disability. 



Don't have a GP? Find a GP near you.


GPs deal with a whole range of health problems.  They usually work in practices as part of a team.

GPs can be an important member of a disabled child or young person's healthcare team.  They will usually deal with minor day to day health needs.  If your GP cannot deal with a problem, then you'll usually be referred to a hospital or to see a consultant with specialist knowledge. 

Find out more about GPs.

Annual Health Checks

From the age of 14 young people who have been assessed as having moderate, severe or profound learning disabilities, or people with a mild learning disability who have other complex health needs, are entitled to a free annual health check.

This check will be done by a GP in your practice (usually the GP who is the Clinical Lead for Learning Disabilities).  Usually your GP practice will invite you to attend an Annual Health Check. You don't have to have an annual health check if you don't want one.

Find out more about Annual Health Checks.

Your GP should help co-ordinate your health care needs, and will be your lead health professional if you no longer have a specialist service.

Talk to your GP practice if you have any questions about what services they offer and how they can support children and young people with special educational needs or a disability.


This page has information for residents in the City of Bristol.  Find out about what other Local Authorities do.

Last Update 1 December 2016 by Findability Team.


We make sure we keep information on Findability as up to date as we can.  If you think this page is out of date or inaccurate please contact us on  Findability is not responsible for the content of external websites.