From start to finish an Education, Health and Care plan assessment should take no more than 20 weeks. The Final Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) must be issued by week 20 of the process. Following the consultations with the schools the SEN Assessment Coordinator will name a school within Section I of the EHCP document.

The setting that is named in the final plan must admit the child/young person and make the necessary provisions. 

The final plan can be appealed if parents/ young person disagrees with the wording or the setting named. Mediation needs to be considered before an appeal is made.

‘Parents and young people do not have to contact the mediation adviser prior to registering their appeal with the Tribunal if their appeal is solely about the name of the school, college or other institution named on the plan, the type of school, college or other institution specified in the plan or the fact that no school or other institution is named. Parents and young people will already have had the opportunity to request a school, college or other institution and to discuss this in detail with the local authority. The disagreement resolution arrangements, as set out in paragraphs 11.5 to 11.10, would be available if parents or young people and local authorities wanted to attempt to resolve the dispute about the placement by making use of these arrangements.'

11.24.  DfE (2015) Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice

Once the final Education, Health and Care plan has been issued it will be reviewed once a year.

Find out about Annual Reviews, what happens after an Education, Health and Care Plan is issued.



18.1 EHCP blank - Pre 16

18.2 EHCP blank - Post 16

If you need any of these documents in a different format please contact us at


Previous page:  Choosing and naming a setting

Next page: Cross Border Arrangements


If you are a young person, parent or carer and you think you might need some further information, advice or support contact Supportive Parents, Bristol's SEND Information, Advice and Support service.  For information and support through the EHCP process contact KIDS, Bristol's Independent Support Service.


This page has information for residents in the City of Bristol.  Find out about what other Local Authorities do.

Last Update 21 March 2017 by Findability Team.