Children and young people who live in Bristol but attend a school or college in another authority

Where a child or young person with a Bristol home address attends a school or college in another Local authority and may have Special Educational Needs (SEN) but no Education Health Care plan or statement of SEN, the school of college must have regard to the Code of Practice (2015) and take purposeful action through the graduated approach to meet their needs, using their available funding.

Having assessed their needs and taken purposeful action and applied their notional budget, the school or college might consider that additional resources are required. In such cases, the school or college can apply for additional funding directly to the SEN/ PfA team Team. Where a statutory assessment is considered necessary, the school or college (or the parent or young person) can request a statutory EHC needs assessment from Bristol.

Bristol will determine whether a statutory needs assessment is necessary following the same procedures and timescales as for children who attend Bristol Schools.


Children Looked After

Where a child or young person looked after by Bristol is being educated out of the   local authority’s area the home local authority (where the child normally lives i.e. their care placement) should decide whether to assess the child or young person and decide whether an EHC plan is required, and informs Bristol of its decisions.

Example: A Bristol Child in Care lives in Somerset. Somerset would inform Bristol if it has decided to carry out an assessment and would review the EHCP, informing Bristol of any changes.

Where a child or young person being educated out of area has an EHC plan, the home local authority must ensure that the special educational provision set out in the plan is being made. They must review the EHC plan annually. Bristol holds the responsibility (and cost), which is delegated to the home Local Authority.

Where a child moves care placement frequently to different Local Authorities, Bristol may decide to maintain the EHCP, if they feel that this is in the child’s best interests. This avoids paperwork passing from one Local Authority to another.



19.1 Cross border arrangements

If you need any of these documents in a different format please contact us at


Previous page:  Final Education, Health and Care Plan

Next page: Complaints, mediation, disagreement resolution and appeals


If you are a young person, parent or carer and you think you might need some further information, advice or support contact Supportive Parents, Bristol's SEND Information, Advice and Support service.  For information and support through the EHCP process contact KIDS, Bristol's Independent Support Service.


This page has information for residents in the City of Bristol.  Find out about what other Local Authorities do.

Last Update 1 December 2016 by Findability Team.