Houses that are usually shared and have support teams working to help all residents live independently.

Sometimes young adults are ready to move from home but will need support to make sure they can live independently.  Supported housing can be one solution to this challenge.


What do I need to know about Supported Housing?

  • Supported Housing is usually provided by an organisation like a charity or a community interest company.
  • Supported Housing is not free.  You may be asked to contribute to your Supported Housing costs.  If you are eligible for Housing Benefit then this may cover some of the costs of your Supported Housing.
  • Usually there is more that one person living in the home, and they often will have the similar needs (for example all residents will have a Learning Disability).
  • You can self refer to live in Supported Housing as long as it will meet your needs.  Normally an assessment will be done to make sure the accommodation you've chosen will meet your needs. 
  • Normally you must be considered a 'Vulnerable Person' to get Supported Housing
  • Supported Housing might be suggested to you through a Care Act Assessment (through your social worker).  The assessment will also help you think about any other support you might want or require to live independently.
  • In Supported Housing you may have support to do things like pay bills, make meals and keep the house clean (see below for more information).
  • You will be asked to agree to a tenancy agreement or contract. This will state what rights you have to stay in your home. It may also specify things you must agree to while you live in your home, such as agreeing to work with your support worker.

If you think you would like a Care Act Assessment you can call Care Direct on 0117 922 2700.


What does Supported Housing look like?

It can be hard to explain what a supported living home is like, because they can all be so different. The fact that there are lots of different types of homes means it can be easier to find somewhere that best suits you. There are three general types of supported living.

  • Living alone. Some people may prefer to live alone in their own flat or house. If you want to live alone, you may have a support worker live in with you or they may just visit you at the times you need help.

  • Shared accommodation. Some people may want to live with friends or other young people. You may also be able to share the cost of your support with your house-mates and save some of your money. The transitions team can help you to link up with other young people who may be looking for someone to share a house with.

  • Cluster flats/Housing Networks. This could be several flats within one building, with a support worker staying in one of the flats. It could also be houses located further apart but still near to a central 'support' house, where your support worker lives.


How do I find Supported Housing?

  • If you have a social worker you can ask them about supported housing. 
  • You can apply directly to an organisation that manages supported housing.  You can do this through the Supported People (SP) programme.
  • You can call Care Direct and ask to referred for a Care Act Assesment.


Is there any support for living in Supported Housing?

There are different types of support that can be offered to people living in Supported Housing.

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

Find out more about housing benefit in Bristol.

Council tax reduction

Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible for a council tax reduction.

Find out more about council tax.

Home adaptations and equipment

Changes to your home or equipment that help you to live in your own property.

Find out more about home adaptations and equipment.

Bristol Careline Alarm

If you are at risk of falling or need to know help is available when you need it a Bristol Careline Alarm can be fitted into your home.

Find out more about Bristol careline alarm and emergency alarm.

Bristol's Supporting People (SP) Programme

This services can help you to be as independent as possible and find information on Accommodation Based Support providers.

Finding out more about Bristol's Supporting People (SP) Programme.


More information

Citizen Advice Bureau have information on adaptations to your home and the duty to make resonable adjustments.

Disability Rights UK have information on disabled people's rights to housing benefit and a list of organisations that can give you information and advice around housing.

Shelter UK has information on housing support.

NHS Choices has information on Supported Independent Living Service.

Mencap has information on different types of housing.


Complaints and disagreements

If you would like to make a complaint against a landlord you can do this through the Housing Ombudsman Service.

If you would like to make a complaint against a Bristol City Council or NHS Service our Complaints and Disagreements page has more information.


This page has information for residents in the City of Bristol.  Find out about what other Local Authorities do.

Last Update 1 December 2016 by Findability Team.

We make sure we keep information on Findability as up to date as we can.  If you think this page is out of date or inaccurate please contact us on  Findability is not responsible for the content of external websites.