Paying someone (a landlord) who owns the property to live there. 

It is common for young adults to rent a flat, house or a room in a shared house when they first decide to leave home.  If it is appropriate for the young person, renting is a great way of find out how well you can manage on your own.


What do I need to know about renting?

  • To rent a property you must pay an amount of money each month.  This is the amount the landlord (the person who owns the property) decides to charge.
  • If you do not pay your rent your landlord can ask you to leave, and if you do not leave you can be evicted (Find out more about evictions).
  • As a tenent (the person renting the property) you have rights.  (Find out about tenent rights).
  • When you agree to rent a property you usually have to agree to an amount of time you will rent the property.  For example, for 1 month, 6 months or 1 year.
  • You should sign a contract with your landlord or letting agency before you start renting a property.  This contract helps you to known how long you have agreed to rent the property, how much you need to pay each month and what to do if you need a repair and who is responsible for paying the bills like council tax, water, gas and electricity.
  • Usually a landlord will ask for a one-off deposit before you can start renting a property.  This is usually one months rent.


How do I find rented properties?

When landlords have a property they would like to rent they usually advertise it.  Most commonly landlords advertise properties they have available on:

  • The internet (for example on websites like Rightmove or Gumtree),
  • On noticeboards in local shops or community centres
  • Through a letting agent. A letting agent is a person or a company that manage a property for a landlord.  They might find a tenent (person) to rent a property and also manage any repairs and rent collection.

Once you have found a property you like the look of you can arrange a visit to see whether you like it in real life and ask any questions you have about renting the property.

Easy Read information from Learning Disability England on renting from a private landlord.


Is there any support for living in rented properties?

There is support available for people living in rented properties, depending on what you want or need.  For most of this support you will need to be assessed to see if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Housing benefit

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

Find out more about housing benefit in Bristol.

Council tax reduction

Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible for a council tax reduction.

Find out more about council tax.

Home adaptations and equipment

Changes to your home or equipment that help you to live in your own property.

Find out more about home adaptations and equipment.

Bristol Careline Alarm

If you are at risk of falling or need to know help is available when you need it a Bristol Careline Alarm can be fitted into your home.

Find out more about Bristol careline alarm and emergency alarm.

Bristol's Supporting People (SP) Programme

This services can help you to be as independent as possible.

Finding out more about Bristol's Supporting People (SP) Programme.


More information

Citizen Advice Bureau have information on adaptations to your home and the duty to make resonable adjustments.

Disability Rights UK have information on disabled people's rights to housing benefit and a list of organisations that can give you information and advice around housing.

Shelter UK has information on private renting.

Mencap has information on different types of housing.


Complaints and disagreements

If you would like to make a complaint against a landlord you can do this through the Housing Ombudsman Service.

If you would like to make a complaint against a Bristol City Council or NHS Service our Complaints and Disagreements page has more information.


This page has information for residents in the City of Bristol.  Find out about what other Local Authorities do.

Last Update 1 December 2016 by Findability Team.

We make sure we keep information on Findability as up to date as we can.  If you think this page is out of date or inaccurate please contact us on  Findability is not responsible for the content of external websites.