Information on finding work and careers advice for disabled young people and those with special educational needs.

Many disabled young people are able to work and good information about how to find employement and good careers advice can help towards that goal of getting a job.


What is Careers Advice?

All young people in education must be given access to good quality, independent careers advice.  Careers advice can help you think about what job you might like to have in the future and what qualifications you need to be able to do that job.

Schools and educational settings must make sure '... all registered pupils at the school are provided with independent careers guidance from year 8 (12-13 year olds) to year 13 (17-18 year olds).  The governing body must ensure that the independent careers guidance provided: • Is presented in an impartial manner • Includes information on the range of education or training options, including apprenticeships and other vocational pathways, • Is guidance that the person giving it considers will promote the best interests of the pupils to whom it is given.'    (DfE 2015,Careers guidance and inspiration in schools).


Where can I find independent careers advice?

Independent careers advice is information that is impartial and wide ranging.  It doesn't mean that your school or educational setting can't employ a careers advice and shouldn't talk to you about your future career.  It means any person at your school or educational setting should be able to tell you were you can get careers advice that will give you the best information for how to reach your employment goal.  Below are some websites that can give you independent careers advice.

  • National Careers Advice
  • iCould have video based careers advice.
  • Plotr has careers advice for young people.
  • Princes Trust UK have a directory of services that can offer careers advice to young people.
  • Disablity Rights UK has information on careers and work advice for disabled people.
  • National Autistic Society have resources advice about work.
  • RNIB have information on careers advice if you have a visual impairment.
  • Deaf Unity have information careers advice if you have a hearing impairment.
  • BOSS Employment have information on finding work in Bristol if you have a learning disability.
  • Whizz Kidz can help you find work placements and work skills days if you are a wheelchair user.


Who can help me find employment?

There are organisations in Bristol who can support you to find work.

  • Job Centre Plus have Disability Advisors who can help you find employment if you are disabled.
  • Specialist Employability Support can help you find employment if you are disabled.
  • Remploy are a specialist in finding employment for disabled people.
  • Scope have information on employment for disabled people.
  • Mencap have an employment service Employ Me.
NHS Choices has information on help to work or find a job.


Your employment rights

Disability is a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010.  That means an employer should make 'reasonable adjustments' to accommodate a disabled person and must not discriminate against someone because they are disabled (for example, refuse to give someone a job only because they are in a wheelchair). 

Find out more about the Equality Act 2010.

Read the Easy Read Equality Act 2010.

The support in work page gives you more information on reasonable adjustments and financial support for disabled people in work.


Complaints and Disagreements

Our complaints and disagreements page has information on what you can do if you are unhappy with a service or organisation, including disability discrimination.


This page has information for residents in the City of Bristol.  Find out about what other Local Authorities do.

Last Update 1 December 2016 by Findability Team.

We make sure we keep information on Findability as up to date as we can.  If you think this page is out of date or inaccurate please contact us on  Findability is not responsible for the content of external websites.