From 1st September 2014 the laws for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities changed. These changes are known as the SEND reforms (Special Educational Needs and Disability reforms). Lots of things stayed the same and some new things were introduced. For example:
- Education, Health and Care plans
- Local Offers
- Personal Budgets
The websites below have useful information on the SEND reforms.
- Department for Education's factsheets
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years
- Supportive Parents
- Council for Disabled Children
- Preparing for Adulthood
- Council for Disabled Children's Youtube Channel
- The young person's guide to the Children and Families Act 2014
SEND Reforms and Local Offers
One of the changes from the SEND reforms was the law that meant Bristol City Council (and all Local Authorities) had to create a Local Offer. A ‘Local Offer’ is information on services from education, health and social care for children and young people (birth to 25 years old) with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities, and their families.
- Findability is our Local Offer in Bristol.
The Local Offer has two key purposes:
- To provide clear, comprehensive, accessible and up-to-date information about provision and how to access it, and
- To make provision more responsive to local needs and aspirations by directly involving disabled children and those with SEN and their parents, and disabled young people and those with SEN, and service providers in its development and review.
In Bristol we believe that children, young people and parent carers deserve a good local offer. If you have any ideas about how we can make Bristol’s Local Offer better please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave feedback.
This page has information for residents in the City of Bristol. Find out about what other Local Authorities do.
Last Updated 1 December 2016 by Findability Team
We make sure we keep information on Findability as up to date as we can. If you think this page is out of date or inaccurate please contact us on email@example.com. Findability is not responsible for the content of external websites.