The Disabled Children's Occupational Therapy service provides assessments and services to disabled children and young adults aged 0-18 across the city of Bristol
Who do we support?
The Disabled Children's Occupational Therapy service provide support for children and young people under 18 who are having difficulty with:
getting into or around the home
moving on or off the bed, toilet, bath or chair
staying safe in your home or garden
What kind of support do you offer?
Our aim is to enable children and young people to reach their full potential, promoting independence and safety within the home environment and to help parents safely care for their children.
Things we might be able to help with:
- Advice and support to make daily tasks easier.
- Provision of specialist equipment in order to maintain function, promote independence, prevent deterioration and to kieep the child safe, especially around the ares of transfers, bathing and toiletting.
- Consider manual handling needs and provide advice and equipment, or recommend adaptions as necessary.
- Make recommendations for adaptations to the home to enable your child to access their environment and essential facilities.
- Refer to other agencies e.g. health professionals, wheelchair service, Health and Social Care as necessary.
- Visit the child's school to determine what adaptions are required to meet their needs.
What is your criteria?
To access our service you must be:
aged between 0-18
are assessed as disabled
have a home address in the city of Bristol
have needs arising from your impairment that cannot be met by universal children’s services and it is likely we will be able to offer a service, without which your health/development would be significantly impaired.
What is the transition from children's services to adult services?
At 18 a young adult will generally be transferred to the adult OT services if further involvement is nessecary. If involvement is required at a later date, a referral can be made via SWIFT to the adult OT service, tel: 0117 903 7117
Last Updated 3 March 2017 by Findability Team.